January 3, 2008

Roxy aka Crazy Old Fleabags

Look at that. I didn't post yesterday. See. I'm not addicted. Okay, okay...I posted yesterday and then I deleted it. But I can quit any time I want. Really! Especially since I'm running out of material now. It's time to ease up I think. But not until I tell the story of how we got Roxy. I can almost see the grin on Amy's face.



Back when we first moved here, The Man was in school and I had yet to find a job. We were living off of student loans. By December, we were in pretty bad shape. Our families knew this and were most gracious with their gifts that year. By the time we got back home, we had another loan check in the mail. The bank account was set right again.

Determined not to run into the same situation we did in December, we started becoming more careful with our spending. So when Amy called and asked if we wanted to play laser tag, I declined having decided that pretty much any form of entertainment above a dollar theater matinee was out of our range. The Man and I went to the mall to walk around instead. Can you hear the music in the background indicating danger? dun Dun DUUUUUUUUUUN!

So we stopped in the pet store and saw her. She was so dang cute! But not cute enough for me to want to really train a puppy. Having been through many as a child, I knew that it would be some work. The conversation went something like this:

The Man: Pleeeeeeease.
Me: No.
The Man: C'mon.
Me: No.
The Man: Oh c'mon.
Me: No.
The Man: Pleeeeease.
Me: No. Dogs are a lot of work.
The Man: But I'll feed it and walk it and potty train it. Pleeeeeease.
Me: No.

And so on until the store was about to close. We had been there an hour and a half. I felt pressure to make a decision. She was so cute and for some stupid reason - I gave in. At the time, The Man felt I needed a companion at home since I still wasn't working and he was in school and studying all the time.


I wont tell you how much she cost. Suffice it to say she was more than laser tag and that just her "accessories" were in excess of $100. Yep, a perfectly acceptable way to spend our Christmas money. Some days, especially since we had the boy, we regret that decision very much. But we love her to death. I could never get rid of her now. Dang dog.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Boy, can I relate.

Amy said...

I love that story. We love Roxy too and are glad you have her. She makes our little boy very happy.

Seleta said...

at least yours is a realy dog, i have to get a dog with an iron lung inside that looks real- cause Brett is so alergic! To everything! I love your dog, she looks so cute and i would love her too!

Anna said...

Haha! You got me! I thought that was a real dog you had there. I'm embarrassed!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel but I have you beat. I now Have five dogs. I should have been a vet. Or at least work for the ASPCA. I just can't stand the thought of people mistreating animals. So we have 3 outside and 2 inside. It really isn't to bad. They might have saved my life sometime. Call me and I will tell you the story.