January 22, 2008

As I Get Older...

...I definitely lose brain cells. Having a baby seems to have dramatically increased the rate at which they expire. Let me share with you just one case-in-point.

On Friday I was getting ready to go to lunch at a friends. I put the boy in the car and went back inside to grab some other things. I took the keys with me. Do you see where this is going? I set the keys down, picked up the other stuff, and walked out. I started to dead bolt the door when I realized...I had no keys. But I had already locked the bottom lock by hand. Crud! In all of my memory, this is the first time I can recall locking myself out of the house. Although, my memory is another thing that has slipped in recent years . So who knows.

It was freezing outside. My phone was inside. The Man was out of town. I had no idea what to do. So I attemtped to reach through the doggy door and unlock the bottom lock. I have a semi-permanent impression on my shoulder and back from that. Unfortunately, I was just about a half inch too short. On a sidenote, the Boy found it very entertaining watching me struggle to break into my own house. I finally gave up and went to the neighbors.

We love our neighbors. And luckily she was home. I had no idea who to call so I started with 911. They said they would send someone out. I left the boy with the neighbor and went back to the house. Two firefighters came, both of them tall enough to reach through the pet door and unlock the door. As soon as he opened it I was so excited that I jumped and gave him a hug! Thank you fire department!!

I am concerned that it will only get worse from here. Goodbye, precious brain cells. We had a good run.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Just wait until you lock your keys in the car with the boy strapped into his car seat. I too love the firemen who came to our rescue.

Deborah said...

I don't think it is going to get any better for a while, if ever. I used to be really smart, not so anymore!

Anonymous said...

GET REAL!!! My kids are 16 and 14 and I started losing it early. Now I write things in a planner, but who knows where I put that. While everyone needs a Jodie, she does have some "grey area".
By the way, if the 5 year plan was in effect, I would have a spare key to your house. (secretly, I would drive over and watch the firemen anyway:))

laura said...

haha! you should ask emily about when she locked herself out of her house and called the fire department.

Tam said...

I have locked my self out of the house once too since being a mom (and the car). The kiddos were inside and smiled through the window. Our story didn't involve the firemen though. Glad you were able to take care of the situation.

Emily Leininger said...

I've locked myself out before and it's always a little scary to see how easily people can break in.

When Spencer was a baby I locked him and my keys in the car. We were in a parking garage where there was no cell phone service. Traumatic. He was probably about the same age as your little guy...

April said...

You should've called me! I could've utilized my long, monkey-like appendages to help you out! (Okay, my spell checker is underlining "should've". Can't I contract "should" and "not"? Seriously.)

April said...

Sorry "should" and "have" is what I meant. Apparently my brain cells are also dwindling. Maybe it's best you didn't call me.

Anna said...

Haha...April you kill me!

Jaime said...

You are so funny...I love reading your blog!

Stephanie said...

I often run in and out of the house because I forget everything if I don't lay it out the night before. Our cd player in the van currently doesn't work because Lily got out of her car seat and put quarters in it. So just be careful once his little fingers start working better!

Unknown said...

Hey "the mom"...People lock themselves out of things daily...not to worry; they are not always old, senile, or even related. The only problem I see here is that you called them: (Firemen-Can i get your cat out of the tree people)now, affecionately known as the "let me utilize the pet door to unlock your residence ma'am) people. Great story though and hopefully this will be the last time! Take care kiddo!