March 24, 2011

What Would You Do?

I bought the Boy a Buzz Lightyear today. It was on clearance so why not? When we got home, he realized it was not the kind that had moving wings.  He started to whine and cry that he didn’t want it.  So I told him throw it away or I’ll give it to someone else , but he was not getting a new one.  He pitched a fit all the way to the trash can and chucked it in. 

Now I know there is a teaching moment in here, but I cannot see past the annoyance and disappointment to find it.  What would you do?

5 comments:

Heather Jewell said...

Oh, that sucks. I have been there too and it especially hurts because you were TRYING to a nice mom.

amy greenway said...

Grrr. Don't you hate it when kids get like that? I would fish it out and when he starts realizing the error in his ways (mostly because I would be saying things like "hmmm, to bad you don't have anything to do right now. Seems like a perfect day to play with a Buzz Lightyear.") make him work to earn it back and ask you nicely for it.

I'm such a mean mom, but I have to squelch the whiney out of my kids somehow.

amy greenway said...

Excuse the typo..."too" not "to."

amy greenway said...

Hey, you could fish it out of the trash and with a little marker magic you could create a Buzz Demon. You know, red for the eyes and black to create an angry scowl. You then strategically place it on a shelf, dresser, or in his bed for a kind surprise. Maybe just out of his reach so Buzz stares down at him night and day with reproach.

EmpireStateGreenway said...

Ooops, that last post was actually from Adam, not Amy. Amy is too sweet to think of something like that!