…about the English language. As I read with my four-year-old, it becomes more and more apparent to me that the English language is, in a word, ridiculous. Here are four of the MANY examples. Pronounce these words to yourself.
Now Cow Mow
Rough Tough Though
Later Hater Water
Go So Do
See what I mean? Don’t even get me started on the silent K. I wouldn’t be too incredibly sad if Spanish ever takes over as the official language of the United States and spelling bees became a thing of the past.
3 comments:
reading with Abby this morning and I was thinking the same thing.
Totally agree, I am teaching Savy to read this year, and the poor little thing gets so frustrated. It breaks my heart, when she sees a word she is pretty sure she can guess and then I have to tell her that word is totally different and I have no idea why.
We spend a whole lot more time on sight words now, because it seems to help more.
Did you know that English is only 2nd to Chinese in it's difficulty, and that spelling bees only take place in English speaking countries?
Post a Comment